- Conferences & Seminars
- 2015 Mid-Atlantic Fruit and Vegetable Convention [pdf]
Risk Management in On-Farm Direct Marketing – Jan 29 – Crystal Room
9:00 Direct Marketing – Is It Right For You, Doing a Self Assessment
Stephen Komar, Rutgers Cooperative Extension
9:30 Selecting and Training Employees to Improve Safety for Direct Marketing
Michelle Infante-Casella, Rutgers Cooperative Extension
10:00 Assessing Farm Safety When Inviting the Public on Your Property
William Bamka, Rutgers Cooperative Extension
10:45 Right To Farm, Deed of Easement and Other Regulations that Impact Direct Marketing
Brian Schilling, Rutgers Cooperative Extension
11:30 Food Aspects for Direct Marketing
Meredith Melendez, Rutgers Cooperative Extension
- 2013 Agritourism Risk Management Workshop [pdf]
- 2012 Atlantic Coast Agricultural Convention and Trade Show [Agritourism session]
- 2012 New Jersey Agritourism Conference [pdf]
- 2015 Mid-Atlantic Fruit and Vegetable Convention [pdf]
- Rutgers NJAES Fact Sheets
- Is an Agritourism Venture Right for Your Farm? [pdf]
- Marketing 101 For Your Agritourism Business [pdf]
- Developing a Mission Statement for Your Agricultural Business [pdf]
- Community Supported Agriculture: A Farmer’s Overview [pdf]
- Agritourism – Keeping Passengers Safe on Hay Rides [pdf]
- The Economic Contributions of Agritourism in New Jersey [pdf]
- Agricultural Tourism as Income-Based Risk Management Strategy for Greenhouse and Nursery Producers [pdf]
- Internet Resources
- Visit NJ Farms [Commercial farms marketing site]
- Farmer Agritourism Resources: Right to Farm and Agricultural Management Practices
- Farmer-to-Farmer Advice for Avoiding Conflicts With Neighbors and Towns [pdf]
- Is Your Town Farm Friendly? [Adapted for New Jersey]
- Farmland Preservation and Agritourism in South Jersey: An Exploratory Study [pdf]
- The Economic Impact of Agritourism in New Jersey [pdf]
- The Opportunity for Agritourism Development in New Jersey [pdf]
- Rich, S.R., Komar, S., Schilling, B., Tomas, S.R., Carleo, J., & Colucci, S. (2011). Meeting Extension Programming Needs with Technology: A Case Study of Agritourism Webinars. Journal of Extension [On-line], 49(6) Article 6FEA4.
- Selected Presentations
- Komar, S.J., Rich, S.R., Schilling, B., Tomas, S. R. Carleo, J., & Colucci, S.J. (2011, August) Acceptance of web-based Extension agritourism program delivery. National Association of County Agriculture Agents (NACAA) Conference, Overland Park, KS. Refereed poster presentation.
- Rich, S. R., Komar, S., Tomas, S., Schilling, B., Carleo, J., & Colucci, S. (2011, March). Webinars as a Tool for Collaboration and Education. National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (NACDEP) Conference, Charleston, SC.
- Komar, S., Rich, S. R., Schilling, B., Tomas, S., Carleo, J., & Colucci, S. (2011, March). Social media: The new ‘word of mouth’ advertising. National Extension Tourism (NET) Conference, Charleston, SC. One hour panel presentation/workshop
- Rich, S. R., Komar, S., Tomas, S., Schilling, B., Carleo, J., & Colucci, S. (2011, March). Creative strategies for Extension programming: Agritourism and webinars. National Extension Tourism (NET) Conference, Charleston, SC.
Guides, Internet Resources, Webinars, Info Sheets, & Books
- Conferences & Webinars
- Food Safety Education and Planning Webinar for Agritourism Providers [webinar] Dec. 14, 2011 12N EST
- North American Farmers’ Direct Marketing Association
- Maryland Rural Enterprise Development Center UMD Extension.
- Resources for Agritourism Development Iowa State University Agricultural Marketing Resource Center. [pdf]
- Risk Management and Liability in Agritourism Iowa State University Agricultural Marketing Resource Center. [pdf]
- Agritourism Best Management Practices & Plan of Operation Louisiana AgCenter [pdf]
- Evaluating a Farming Enterprise USDA NCAT NSAIS ATTRA [pdf]
- Agritourism Health and Safety for Children Marshfield Clinic. [pdf]
- Agritourism Worksite Guide Marshfield Clinic. [pdf]
- Agritourism Policies and Procedures Guide Marshfield Clinic. [pdf]
- Considerations for Agritourism Development New York Sea Grant [pdf]
- Hospitality – Your Keys to Success North Carolina Cooperative Extension. [pdf]
- Hospitality Self Assessment North Carolina Cooperative Extension. [pdf]
- Understanding the Customer Experience North Carolina Cooperative Extension. [pdf]
- Agri-Tourism Virginia Cooperative Extension. [pdf]
- Agritourism: Ideas and Resources Virginia Cooperative Extension. [pdf]
- A Farmer’s Guide to Marketing through Community Supported Agriculture University of Tennessee. [pdf]
- Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses SARE http://www.sare.org/ [pdf]
- Making the Farm Connection: A Guide to Field Trips for Farmers Community Alliance with Family Farmers [pdf]
- Guide to Farm Field Trips for Farmers and Teachers ASAP [pdf]
- Fact Sheets & Info Sheets
- What is Agritourism? University of California Small Farm Program
- Qualifying and Quantifying Your Personal Agritourism Potential University of Georgia
- Managing Agri- and Nature-Tourism Operations: Assessing Your Assets University of California Small Farm Program
- Managing Agri- and Nature-Tourism Operations: Creating A Business Plan University of California Small Farm Program
- Managing Agricultural and Nature Tourism Operations: Marketing Your Enterprise University of California Small Farm Program
- Tips for Building Marketing and Community Partnerships University of California Small Farm Program
- Agritourism in New York: Management and Operations New York Sea Grant [pdf]
- Agritourism in North Carolina Visitor and Farmer Survey Results NCSU Tourism Extension
- Indicators for documenting the impacts of food and ag-based entrepreneurship in the context of community. What Works! Rural Entrepreneurship & Community Development in the Northeast. University of Vermont Extension The Northeast Regional Center for Rural Development. [pdf]
- Risk Management Checklist. USDA [pdf]
- Alternative Farm Enterprises – Agritourism Success Stories: ‘Agritainment,’ Weddings, Reunions, and Organic Dairy Products. USDA NRCS [pdf]
- Internet Resources
- Agritourism University of California Small Farm Program
- Agri-Tourism Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Agritourism:A Web-Based Resource for Farmers University of Vermont
- Ag Lease 101 North Central Farm Management Extension Committee
- Center for Farm Financial Management [FINPACK, AgPlan] University of Minnesota
- Agricultural Innovation & Commercialization Center [INVenture] Purdue University
- Agritourism Business Management Resources University of Mississippi
- AgriMarketing Eckert AgriMarketing
- Google Analytics for Farmers: A Webinar for Extension Educators University of Vermont Extension
- Landuse Planning New Jersey Department of Agriculture
- Conference on the Science and Education of Landuse. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. [pdf]
- Agritourism and Economic Development: Role of Research and Extension Kansas State University [pdf]
- Alternative Enterprises and Agritourism: Farming for Profit and Sustainability Resource Manual
[Agritourism Chapter]. Natural Resources Conservation Service USDA. [pdf]
- Entertainment Farming and Agri-Tourism. NCAT Sustainable Agriculture Project Attra
- Direct Farm Marketing and Tourism Handbook. University of Arizona
- FarmStay Manual University of Minnesota
- Agritourism enterprises on your farm or ranch: Understanding regulations University of California
- Agritourism The National Agricultural Law Center
- Customer Safety: Farm Market and Agritourism Risk Penn State Cooperative Extension
- FARM-HAT Farm/Agricultural/Rural Management/Hazard Analysis Tool Penn State
- East Coast Agritourism Webinar Series
- Journal Articles
- Phillip, S., C. Hunter, K. Blackstock, A typology for defining agritourism. Tourism Management, Volume 31, Issue 6, December 2010, Pages 754-758.
- Nickerson, N.P., R. J. Black, and S. F. McCool. Agritourism: Motivations behind Farm/Ranch Business Diversification, Journal of Travel Research, Aug 2001; 40: 19 – 26.
- McGehee, N.G., and K. Kim. Motivation for Agri-Tourism Entrepreneurship, Journal of Travel Research, Nov. 2004; 43: 161 – 170.
- Ollenburg, C. and R. Buckley. Stated Economic and Social Motivations of Farm Tourism Operators, Journal of Travel Research, May 2007; 45: 444 – 452.
- Bergstrom, J.C. and R.C. Ready. Applied Analyses: What Have We Learned from Over 20 Years of Farmland Amenity Valuation Research in North America? Appl. Econ. Perspect. Pol., Mar 2009; 31: 21 – 49.
- Byrd, E.T., D.A. Cárdenas, and J.B. Greenwood. Factors of Stakeholder Understanding of Tourism: The Case of Eastern North Carolina, Tourism and Hospitality Research, Jul. 2008; 8: 192 – 204.
- Carpio, C.E., and M.K. Wohlgenant. A general two-constraint model of consumer demand. Eur. Rev. Agric. Econ., Dec 2010; 37: 433 – 452.
- Hackl, F., M. Halla, and G.J. Pruckner. Local compensation payments for agri-environmental externalities: a panel data analysis of bargaining outcomes. Eur. Rev. Agric. Econ., Sep 2007; 34: 295 – 320.
- George, H., and E. Rilla. (2011) Agritourism and Nature Tourism in California – Second Edition. University of California ANR.
- Sznajder, M., Przezbórska, L., & Scrimgeour, F. (2009). Agritourism. Wallingford, UK: CABI.
- Berst Adams, B. (2008) The New Agritourism: Hosting Community and Tourists on Your Farm. Auburn, CA: New World Publishing.
- Tomas, S. R. (2011). “Focus on Tourism Research”, in Tourism Research Chapter. In J. R. Walker and J. T Walker’s Tourism: Concepts and Practices. New Jersey, Pearson Higher Education.
- Tomas, S. R. (2011). “Case Study: Conducting Tourism Research”, in Tourism Research Chapter. In J. R. Walker and J. T. Walker’s Tourism: Concepts and Practices. New Jersey, Pearson Higher Education.
- Andrew Schmitz, Charles B. Moss, Troy G. Schmitz. (2010) Agricultural Policy, Agribusiness and Rent-Seeking Behaviour. University of Toronto Press.